ABOUT THE LAW
It is legal for a patient with a Rhode Island Medical Marijuana Identification card or an MMH card or other approved pateint documentation from any state to register as a patient to purchase medical cannabis from the Slater Center.
Public consumption is not allowed in Rhode Island.
Employers may not rightfully terminate a qualified patient from her/his employment solely because of patient status. However, employers are not expected to accommodate the medical use of marijuana in any workplace.
No landlord may refuse to lease to or otherwise penalize a person solely for his or her status as a medical marijuana patient or primary caregiver.
HOW DO I BUY MEDICAL CANNABIS IN RHODE ISLAND?
Want to buy medical cannabis in Rhode Island? Here’s what you need to do:
1.) See your doctor or nurse practitioner. Your provider will need to confirm that you have a health condition that qualifies (link to list of qualifying conditions – see below) for the use of medical cannabis.
2.) Apply for a Medical Cannabis ID Card, also known as an MMJ card.
• If you live in Rhode Island, you can find the application for a RI Medical Marijuana ID Card on the RI Department of Health website.
• Non-residents should follow the procedures for their particular states.
3.) Visit the Slater Center at One Corliss Street in Providence, present your MMJ card and government-issued photo ID to the front-desk staff and enter the facility to purchase your medicine.
DOES THE SLATER CENTER ACCEPT OUT-OF-STATE PATIENTS?
The Slater Center welcomes all new patients – from Rhode Island and out of state. If you have a valid RI Medical Marijuana ID Card or other approved patient documentation from any state, you can register as a patient to use our facility.
We make the process quick and easy:
• Stop by our dispensary at One Corliss St., Providence, RI, during regular business hours. We are open seven days a week: Monday to Friday from 10:30 a.m. to 6:30 p.m.; Saturday from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m.; and Sunday from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m.
• Show us your Medical Cannabis ID Card (MMJ Card) or other state-approved patient documentation, along with an official government-issued photo ID.
• Fill out some paperwork – it only takes a few minutes.
• You can now purchase medical marijuana at the Slater Center.
The Slater Center offers one of the largest selections of top-quality medicine on the East Coast, with the very best flowers, vapes, concentrates and edibles available today.
Call or visit the Slater Center today!
HOW DO I GET A MEDICAL CANNABIS ID CARD?
Each state has its own rules and procedures for issuing Medical Cannabis Identification Cards.
Here in Rhode Island, you must be a legal resident of this state to get a RI Medical Marijuana ID Card. However, non-residents can still purchase medical cannabis if they have a valid Medical Cannabis Identification Card or other approved patient documentation issued by another state.
Rhode Islanders can obtain a RI Medical Marijuana ID Card by using this simple two-step process:
1.) CHECK WITH YOUR HEALTH CARE PROVIDER
Ask your doctor or nurse practitioner if you have a qualifying medical condition that could benefit from medical cannabis.
Have your provider complete the Practitioner Written Certification Form from the Rhode Island Department of Health.
2.) APPLY FOR YOUR RI MEDICAL CANNABIS ID CARD
To get a RI Medical Marijuana ID Card, you must complete an Application for Initial Registration as a Medical Marijuana Patient from the Rhode Island Department of Health and mail it to the address listed below, along with the following documents:
• Practitioner Written Certification Form signed by your doctor or nurse practitioner
• Proof of residency – copies of any of these documents are acceptable:
– Rhode Island driver’s license o Rhode Island state identification (ID) card
– Vehicle registration*
– Voter registration*
– Correspondence from another state agency*
– Car insurance bill *
* Documents should reflect your current address and the current date
• Non-refundable application fee – a check or money order payable to the RI General Treasurer. The fee is $50, with the following exceptions:
– The fee is $25 for recipients of Medicaid, Security Income (SSI), Social Security Disability Income (SSDI), Federal Railroad Disability or Veterans’ Disability. You must submit proof of your benefits. (The discounted fee does not apply for those collecting Social Security or Medicare.)
– There is no fee for patients receiving chemotherapy or those eligible for Hospice care, as long as you provide written confirmation from your doctor along with your request for the fee to be waived.
Mail your application and the documents listed above to:
Rhode Island Center for Professional Licensing 3 Capitol Hill – Room 105-A Providence, RI 02908-5097
HOW LONG DOES IT TAKE TO GET A RI MEDICAL MARIJUANA ID CARD?
It generally takes 5 to 10 days to process an Application for Initial Registration as a Medical Marijuana Patient, according to the Rhode Island Department of Health.
Once approved, you will be given an appointment to have your photo taken for your RI Medical Marijuana ID Card.
Please note: you will need to present a valid Rhode Island driver’s license or Rhode Island state identification card when you come to this appointment.
WHAT MEDICAL CONDITIONS CAN BE TREATED WITH MEDICAL CANNABIS IN RHODE ISLAND?